ERC European Resuscitation Council Contact - FAQ     
Home  | News & Events  | Publications  | Resources  | Forum  | Shop  | Partners  | About ERC      

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> administration of 100% oxygen
frankvdb
Posted: May 8 2006, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Group:
Guest Member

Member No.: 16678

is it true that in fact you can never give 100 % of oxygen to the patient?

when you ventilate the patient with bag en mask with oxygen reservoir and a flow of 15l/min then you have approximately an administration of 85 % ( that is wat is mentioned in the new guidelines ) so thus this mean that in fact you never can give 100 % oxygen to the patient , I suppose you can ?
PMEmail Poster
sgarth
Posted: May 12 2006, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

Group:
Guest Member

Member No.: 596

Assuming what comes out of the cylinder is 100%, then you can give 100% by using a closed sytem such as tracheal intubation with balloon and ventilator. However with intubation and bagging, there is invariably a air contamination so it is probably somewhat lower.

Without tracheal intubation then you are correct it is accepted that you are giving about 80-85%, 90% max. using an oxygen flow of 15%

This is different if the air contains more oxygen, as in an oxygen tent or hyperbaric chamber.
PMEmail Poster
jsmit
Posted: May 18 2006, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Group:
Guest Member

Member No.: 1300

Why should you want to give more? In the oxygendissociationcurve the higher oxygen percentages have no effect. Maybe oxygen is not as innocent as whe think.
PMEmail Poster
sgarth
Posted: May 19 2006, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Group:
Guest Member

Member No.: 596

I agree, I was simply answering the question asked.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll