ERC European Resuscitation Council Contact - FAQ     
Home  | News & Events  | Publications  | Resources  | Forum  | Shop  | Partners  | About ERC      

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> CPR surface
youngwend
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Group:
Guest Member

Member No.: 195135

I have recently run some basic first aid courses in residential homes and the problem of resusitating on a normal bed has been raised. Some residents do not have beds with air release for CPR, but moving the person from the bed to the floor (probably with only 1 helper) goes against the staffs moving and handling training. Has anyone encountered anything similar and/or can anyone advise on a solution (apart from installing all new beds!)

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
sgarth
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Group:
Guest Member

Member No.: 596

Hi,

You have basically three options;

1. Bearing in mind that manual handling is a risk reduction exercise, it is feasible to look upon emergency situations differently from 'normal' situations. In some areas it is possible to take the risk and move a person by dragging thm onto the floor using the sheet. The casualty will hit the floor with a bump, but in cardiac arrest, at least they will get CPR.

2. Use a bed board. a piece of firm material such as wood or strong plastic which when placed under the torso of the casualty forms a robust surface suitable for CPR.

3. Get firmer materesses whic hallow CPR - most orthopaedic type mattresses will do. Try them out before you buy.

I prefer number 2.

By the way, you state 'Some residents do not have beds with air release for CPR', do you mean pressure relieving air mattresses? If you do, then these should be replaced with new ones which do allow emergency deflation.
PMEmail Poster
youngwend
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Group:
Guest Member

Member No.: 195135

Thanks for your suggestions.

I think the long term goal is to replace all the beds with the pressure relieving air mattresses but at the moment some still do not have this.

Thanks again.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll